Just like every year, we send our Christmas cards to our family and friends by post. We like to craft our own cards together as a family and every year we try to make something different. This year we got inspired by the beautiful shapes and colours of the new Christmas stamps by Swiss Post.
The stamps we made out of simple potatoes. They are so easy to make and the outcome is just stunning. The meaningful Christmas message gave it an extra personal touch.
If you are running out of time (and ideas) for your Christmas Card, we can share with you our card which you can download for free here.
Step by step creating your potato stamped Christmas card:
- Create a text file on your computer or mobile phone
- Type your own personal Christmas wishes or a found meaningful quote (you can also insert any image elements or photos)
- Print it out on a regular paper
- Personalise and sign it using a colorful pens
- Wash and dry a large potato
- Cut your potato in half lengthwise
- Score some simple Christmas designs (or use cookie cutters)
- With a knife, cut around the edges to remove the excess pieces of potato (this step is best left for adults)
- Reveal the potato stamp
- Pat dry so the paint will stick better
- Mix up your paint and medium (acrylic or tempera)
- Place your paint onto the plate and sprinkle with a tiny amount of water and salt. The salt will cause the paint to become more fluid, making it easier to stamp with
- With a brush or a foam pad, apply paint to the stamp
- Stamp the first element and let dry
- Create the next element next to the first one (overlapping) and let dry completely
- Potato stamp your envelope
- Your new hand-stamped Christmas cards are ready to send out!
If you liked this blog post, please feel free to share it in your FB group, WhatsApp chat, Pinterest, Instagram or Facebook. Thank you for your support and till next time! Elena